Are you wondering if your child’s issues with concentration could be due to ADHD?
All children will have issues with concentration once in a while. They may become easily distracted or make a careless mistake on their homework. It happens, and it’s usually nothing to worry about. However, if these habits are becoming the norm then you may be wondering whether or not your child may have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Discover some of the warning signs that might mean that it’s time to schedule an evaluation with your Kaufman, TX, pediatrician also serving Rockwall and Dallas, Dr. C. Turner Lewis.
ADHD Symptoms: What to Look Out For
The three classic symptoms of ADHD are:
It is important to recognize that children don’t always display all of these symptoms. In fact, some children may only exhibit one symptom while others may exhibit all three. That’s why it can take parents a while to figure out that their children’s behaviors are actually stemming from ADHD.
We break down these three main symptoms of ADHD:
As you may be able to guess, children with ADHD have a lot of trouble concentrating and staying focused. Children who display symptoms of inattentiveness may:
- Have trouble staying organized
- Often lose or misplace items
- Become easily distracted
- Often daydream or seem like their mind is elsewhere
- Have difficulty paying attention to lectures, conversations or books
- Jump from one task to another without completing anything
- Make careless mistakes or miss important details
- Have trouble following instructions
Hyperactivity and Impulsivity
These two symptoms can be lumped together since they are similar. Children who display symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsivity may:
- Fidget and move around a lot
- Have trouble sitting still or remaining seated
- Not be able to wait patiently in line
- Blurt out answers without waiting to be called on by the teacher
- Talk excessively and interrupt others while they talk
- Have difficulty playing quietly or participating in certain activities
- Have trouble with impulse control
- Be prone to temper tantrums and moods swings
Should my child be evaluated for ADHD?
Again, it’s important to recognize that a lot of these habits and behaviors will occur in children who don’t have ADHD; however, if your child is displaying many of these symptoms, if these symptoms occur frequently and if they manifest in all environments such as home, school or social interactions then it’s a good idea to schedule an evaluation with our Kaufman, TX, pediatrician, also serving Rockwall and Dallas, to find out if your child has ADHD.
Children's Medical Clinics, is dedicated to providing comprehensive and compassionate pediatric care to children and teens living in Kaufman, Dallas, Ellis, Henderson, Hunt, Navarro, Rains, Rockwall, Van Zandt, & Wood, TX. Whether you need to schedule an ADHD evaluation or you just need to schedule your child’s next checkup, don’t hesitate to give our pediatrician a call.